As the years pass, I’m starting to find that I pretty much hate any & all “fandoms.” It’s my personal belief that if it’s anything that kills a show, sport’s team, what-have-you, it’s the fans -.-
With their over zealousness, insecurity in their own fanaticism (in practice), rejection of anything not completely & totally embracing their fandom, & general immaturity and inability to cope with the fact that there’s life outside their beloved fandom, how could any sane & logical person stay a fan about anything coveted by these bastard fanatical freaks? Although I’m obviously focusing on the hyper negatives and downsides of a fandom, given that I hate pretty much all levels of B.S. at this point, this is something I just find inexcusable, unacceptable, & downright preposterous. Basically, I’m fed up with the bullsh*t.
There’re a multitude of reasons why I can’t stand fandoms, but the biggest offenses are just a general apparent inability to talk about anything else but their fandom, hyping something up to proportions that the thing they’re hyping can’t possibly live up to the impossibly high expectations, & getting pissy whenever someone says anything remotely negative about their precious fandom thing. In addition to this, due to the popularity of some social networking sites with me (Facebook, Tumblr, & even Twitter), I‘m constantly bombarded & reminded about just how annoying some fandoms are ~.~
Now, since I’m fairly involved with the anime & gaming communities to say the least, the fandoms that irritate me the most typically are from these respective communities. Within these communities, there are several things that annoy me far more than anything else that either of these respective groups could produce. However, before I go into listing those particular series/games/etc., let me just say now that, yes, there are always exceptions to these fandoms where you have some fans that aren’t nearly as annoying + juvenile as the rest, but for the most part this is not the case. Also, this isn’t so much me having qualms with whatever they’re fanning over, I typically like whatever they’re being annoying pricks about, it’s just the fans themselves.
Anyway, here’s a list of fandoms (in no particular order) that annoy me the most:
- Xbox 360 fans
- Out of all the consoles from this generation, this group of fans gets butt-hurt the most about pretty much anything that can be seen as negative about their precious 360. I may be a Sony fangirl myself, but I also own every console from this generation, so I don’t get the unnecessary haterade.
- First-Person Shooter Genre fans
- Not so much as they’re annoying if you insult their favored FPS, but more b/c practically all FPS’s are the same. Save for different developers, slight plot differences between individual FPSs, & slightly different game mechanics, they’re all pretty much doing the same thing, which was made even worse since the advent of Halo. This is, of course, something that’s more or less true for all gaming genres (like J-RPGs), but especially the FPS genre.
- Pokemon fans
- Holy s*it! There are more games out there than this one, get a grip -.- God forbid if a Pokemon game just came out, &, no, people my age are the main demographic that plays these games, not children ~.~
- One Piece fans
- For the anime community, all of these fandoms are pretty much annoying for the same reasons, but this fandom can be especially annoying ‘cause they tend to play the “our s*it don’t stink” card. Not to mention they get butt-hurt the most/the easiest out of the 3 major Shonen Jump series, the other 2 being Naruto & Bleach. This all sounds like nerd-speak if you don’t know these things, but just go with me on this one >.>
- Avatar fans
- Even though it’s not freakin’ anime, it’s “American anime”, which doesn’t count to me.
- Sailor Moon fans
- I’m sorry, but between high school & now, there’s only so many times you can sit in a 40+ minute conversation-with no way out- about this series & all the differences between the original & the American version before you just give up on people altogether >.>
- Dragon Ball Z fans
- I Understand it’s a classic, but for f*ck’s sake, I definitely didn’t expect it’s fandom to be this alive & kicking after so frackin’ long ~.~
- UPDATE (8/24/12): Hetalia fans
- How could I frackin’ forget Hetalia fans!? It’s not yaoi (Shonen Ai) & you will get NO brownie points from actual yaoi fangirls if you say you like this. Matter of fact, they’ll be disgusted (most of the times). &, yes, it’s actually quite racist & disrespectful. Why? It uses the stereotypes of countries to come up with the personification of the Hetalia characters, &, you know, sprinkle on some gay -.- Secondly, it turns the atrocities & horrors of WWII into…a gay powwow..? Yeah, not to mention the spike in NAZI COSPLAYat cons due to this series…It’s just a clusterf*ck of tweens desperately trying to fit in on something that should have never been -.-
Other Annoying Fandoms:
- Dr. Who fans
- Namely the born-again Christian equivalent fans who act like this is the best show EVAR…despite it being around for around half a century X/ Like a lot of things I listed, I like this series, but when 90% of your Tumblr/Facebook/Twitter feed/etc. are all Dr. who related, it’s time to cut some b*tches -.- Yes, I know there’s multiple freakin’ doctors & that whole rigmarole, but seriously, do you need to one-trick-pony every conversation with Dr. Who? Not friggin’ necessary -.-
- Homestuck fans
- Probably one of the main fandoms that annoys me the most besides the One Piece, Avatar, & Dr. Who fandoms. This is namely because these fans keep trying to shoe-horn it into the anime community, but it’s not anime! It’s a fairly hilarious web comic series that has nothing to do with anime, but try telling this to some Homestuck fans. It’s so freakin’ frustrating, especially when you go to cons & about 1/3 of the cosplayers there are cosplaying this s*t -.- Yes, again, nerd-speak, but imagine it this way: it’s like if bad mitten kept trying to poke it’s a&& into (American) football events. It makes no G.D. sense, & so does the whole Homestuck B.S.
- (UPDATE 8/15/13) Gundam fans
- …Disclaimer: I don’t think all Gundam fans are like this, especially the ones where I knew they liked other things before just GUNDAM!!! but continuing on…have these ppl., usually male, never felt the touch of a woman? Of course, using heteronormative logic, but with that aside wtf is wrong with most of them??? God almighty forbid if you like anything Gundam Wing & beyond because they’re “too girly.” Again, this isn’t all Gundam fans, but the ones like this…*shudder* Anyway, these misogynistic d*uches need to open the close-mindedness & understand: a) Gundam is not meant for “boys only, no girls allowed (with their cooties)”; b) calm it the f*ck down, it’s a fairly enjoyable mech series but it isn’t the only mech anime out there ~.~
Anyway, these are the main fandoms that annoy the f*ck out of me, & are why I swear off fandoms altogether. However, before I end this rant, I also want to state again that, most of the times, the thing that’s the target of the fandom I usually like, sometimes a lot, but it’s just the annoying fans which is why I just can’t stand it anymore. And, again, yes, there are exceptions to this, but if you’re getting butt-hurt by this simple post, then you’re probably apart of that annoying majority of the fandom that I’ve been ragging on this whole time ~.~
At any rate, like every post, this was way longer than I intended, but, hey, whaddya gonna do?
Update (12/21/14): Since some numbnuts don’t get it, I have to approve comments before they see the light of day; i.e., doing drive-by hate comments won’t work here ~.~
If the best you got is anything along the lines of the most butthurt of butthurt “F*CK YOU DX”, it’s going to get trashed before it even shows up on my page. So, you can leave your ‘YouTube commenter’ mentality at the door & GTFO if you don’t like what I’m saying. I suspect it’s the OP or DBZ-tards that leave the negative comments (b/c the truth hurts, don’t it?), however, there’s plenty of annoying fandoms I called out on their b.s. that could be the culprits (any of those f*****s never learn). Regardless, the hate is pointless, I would hope you had better things to do with your time, & I’m surprised you’re able to speak or write at all if the best you got is “F*CK YOU! DX” ~.~